Sunday, September 29, 2019

I confess

I am guilty of having an unholy amount of fun this week.  Yes, I know, Constitutional crisis and all  that, much hand-wringing over Is it the right time? and How will it affect the everlasting election?  but damn, after all these years of broccoli, it looks like dessert might be on the way.

I love watching Trump ransack his tiny vocabulary for fresh terms of abuse.  Apparently Democrats are now "savages" and "pirates."  (But people love pirates!  Captain Jack Sparrow!)  How long before he just types "SHIT SHIT SHIT" 60 times?  That's right, isn't it, 240 characters?  I don't do Twitter.

I love the look on President Zelensky's face when Stupid suggests he make nice with Putin.  Look, I flattered the hell out of you just like Netanyahu told me, I sat here politely trying not to look like Enzo the baker scared out of his mind at the hospital, but I too have voters to face.  Come on, really?  He occupies Crimea like Hitler in the Sudetenland, you people do nothing, and I'm supposed to kiss his ass?   No wonder they call you Trumputin.

I love watching Giuliani lose the rest of his mind whenever he gets near a microphone.  Did he and Trump accidentally exchange dentures in some bizarre locker-room accident?  For eighteen years this racist idiot has preened as "America's mayor" with the shameless complicity of the media.  We who lived in New York in those days remember his attempt to turn a police demonstration at City Hall into an anti-Dinkins lynch mob; the firefighters who died on 9/11 partly because of the low-bid radios he provided for them; the police commissioner who went to prison, but not before Giuliani urged Bush to make him Secretary of Homeland Security; his lying claim that a black undercover cop who was gunned down on the subway by another cop had expressed forgiveness from his hospital bed; and how he and his then-wife enriched themselves from 9/11 charities intended for the families of the dead.  For a start.  Giuliani and Trump were made for each other, possibly in a laboratory.

I love this.

I love Greta Thunberg and the way she drives so many people crazy.  And I worry about her.  She has been compared to Joan of Arc and Malala Yousafzai, who experienced misogynistic violence at its most extreme.  Female members of Congress and of Parliament get death threats on a daily basis, as did women like Christine Blasey Ford and the victims of Roy Moore.  I fear that Thunberg, who has acknowledged having Asperger's, may not fully understand the kind of world she lives in.

I love the slap-fights that have broken out at Fox News between the fact-based and propaganda divisions.  CNN should cover them like a sporting event.  Gabriel Sherman's hilarious breakdown is here.

I love autumn.



  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home