Saturday, August 29, 2020

Beautiful Saturday

After a week of unparalleled ugliness I have decided to turn my attention to some happy things. 

Today is the hundredth birthday (Birdday?) of Charlie Parker.  I don't approve of statues, as you know, but Kansas City needs to open a museum. 

I'm listening to Gershwin's Cuban Overture because it came up on YouTube.  I know, cultural appropriation, but what American music isn't?  It drags a little in the middle and will never be as popular as the Rhapsody, but I don't care.

Today only, Kenosha, Wisconsin, is the birthplace of Orson Welles.  Period.

How many acts have there been where one person was the obvious star and the rest fell in behind?  The Ritz Brothers (Harry), the Boswell Sisters (Connie), the Gumm Sisters (Frances a/k/a Judy Garland), the Rhythm Boys (Bing Crosby), it must have made for some tension on the bus.  I love the Bozzies -- one of those I-can't-believe-they're-white groups. 

No museum, but KC has one of these in a park:

Image result for kansas city charlie parker

I think it looks more like David Dinkins.

To conclude, some birds.

gray-and-black mallard ducks flying during day time









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home