Sunday, November 07, 2021

Day without a name

All right.  I've synched up all the timepieces and now I'm going to clear out all the detritus.  Tomorrow I start reading Montaigne.  (Not really.)

Danika Ellis, who I suspect is a treasure (Now Voyager reference), has studied the 850 or so books facing the pyre in Texas.  Funniest entry:  The Year They Banned the Books by Nancy Garden.  That's right, Matt Krause doesn't want kids to read a book about banning books.  He wants them to think it was an original idea of his.  Showboat.

While searching for the full list I came across one for adults.  At the other end of the school-to-prison pipeline in Texas, inmates cannot read The Color Purple, Utopia, Salammbo (no problem with Madame Bovary), Inferno (Purgatorio and Paradiso appear to be acceptable), anything by Shakespeare or The Essential Gore Vidal.  Among others.  Some official must have heard that Malcolm X (not on the list for some reason) did a ton of reading in prison and came out...different.

Big Bird got a covid shot on Sesame Street and now he's getting death threats.  Ted Cruz is enraged that children are being subjected to "propaganda" on a government-funded show.  Actually, Ted, Sesame Street has been on HBO for at least five years.  Right on top of things as usual.  Have you booked your hotel in Cancun yet?   Board the dog this year, you heartless cheap bastard.

Cambridge Union sponsored a debate called "This House believes there is no such thing as good taste" and had to issue an apology after a professor impersonated Hitler.  I guess he was a little too convincing.

Does anyone know what the Aaron Rodgers thing is about?  He's taking ivermectin -- he has worms?  I'm just glad he didn't get the Jeopardy! hosting job.  I couldn't go through that again.  Also he was terrible.

I can't find any complaints about the rigged election in Virginia.  Timing is everything.

Oh wait, here it is.  Seventeen-year-old Son of Youngkin (name withheld because of age) tried to vote for Daddy on Tuesday.  Twice.  I knew there'd be trouble with Fairfax County.  Stop the steal!

John F. Kennedy, Jr., did not manifest in Dealey Plaza on Friday because he was doing a sound check.  That's right, the Qballs have decided that John-John is now known as Keith Richards.  Michael Jackson may or may not be Mick Jagger.  I'm starting to think this might be a hoax.

If you've been waiting for Amazon to offer a deep discount on the collected stories of Donald Barthelme in the Library of America edition, they have!  Mine arrives tomorrow.  I don't know how they do it.  Sure, they're EVIL compared to Miss Anne's Book Nook or whatever your struggling local is called, but I want it fast and cheap.  Also, my purchase helps to underwrite the next Blue Origin launch, which may well vaporize some rich bastard who deserves it.   

Judy Holliday movie just started.  I'm done. 


   







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home