Sunday, May 19, 2019

Elder abuse

As if I don't have enough to do, now I have to revise my opinion of Fran Lebowitz.

Friday on Real Time With Who Cares, Lebowitz stated that Joe Biden (76) and Bernie Sanders(77) are "both way too old" to succeed Trump (72).  "These guys are too old to drive," she added dismissively.

I probably would have let it go, but it followed closely on the death, at 103, of Herman Wouk, who published the last of his many books at the age of 97.  A few weeks ago Lawrence Ferlinghetti published a book on his hundredth birthday.  Lebowitz, who is 68, hasn't written anything since the 1980s, apart from a children's book she co-wrote.

On the same show, Lebowitz suggested that Trump be vivisected by his Saudi friends with the same bone saws they used on Jamal Khashoggi.  This witticism provoked outrage from the trumpistas, and she promptly apologized.  But nobody tweeted death threats over her outrageous age-ism, because we old people are too polite for that.

So, from one 68-year-old to another, in the words of your charming host, "Fuck you."

Neither Biden nor Sanders is my first choice, for reasons that have nothing to do with their prostates or their white hair.  I'm not burning my copy of Social Studies because only morons burn books and I can't find it anyway.  If Biden is nominated, I'll vote for him.  I'd vote for Zippy the Pinhead over Trump.  I'd vote for the Brother From Another Planet if he wasn't from another planet.  I don't make decisions based on age.  I won't slam old people for cheap laughs.  So fuck off and write something or shut up.  Right now all you are is a bit player on Law & Order, and not even recently.

2 Comments:

Blogger The New York Crank said...

So listen, Buttermilk. I'm older than either Bernie or Biden, but I think our party's in-house critics have a point. Yeah, Herman Wouk survived over a century and wrote a book before they closed he coffin lid on him, but the odds of either Biden or Bernie completing two terms and ending still compos mentis are not in their favor. And imagine what a pickle the party would be in if our candidate dropped dead the day before the election.

I happen to love Bernie, and if he gets nominated I'll vote for him — sorta ditto Joe Biden — but I'd rather back a younger horse. Not a stripling with limited experience like Beto O' Rourke but...well, for openers there's Elizabeth Warren,currently, I believe, age 69, whose programs and platform are almost identical to Bernie's, but who comes out better on the actuarial tables.

Look, you and I both live in the same neighborhood, which seems to be populated exclusively by two groups: twenty-somethings who don't mind the noise and congestion, and geezerly types like me, who are too deaf and too busy muttering to themselves to notice. You wouldn't want anybody you pass in the streets of Murray Hill to be President*. Give me a seasoned, battle-scarred fifty-or-sixty-something veteran of Washington DC hand-to-combat, with still lots of tread on his or her tires any day.

Yours crankily,
The New York Crank

*I might make an exception for the homeless character who usually sits on the ground in front of the Duane-Reade drug store on 3rd Avenue and 34th Street, taunting passers-by with political jibes. Oh wait, scratch that. His political opinions are almost indistinguishable from Trump's. In fact, I'm beginning to suspect he's one of Trump's speech writers.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Bob Broughton said...

I don't agree with this article, but I got a good laugh out of "I'd vote for the Brother From Another Planet if he wasn't from another planet." Thanks!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home