Thursday, November 08, 2007

Me me me me me me me

What Hillary should have said:

"Well, do you want undocumented residents driving without licenses? Because they will. They are. There are a lot of places in this country you can't get to without a car, because public transportation was dismantled decades ago at the urgent request of the auto industry. I want everyone on the road to have a license, because that means they have to pass a road test, a written test and an eye exam. Call me selfish, but I don't want Senor Magoo tooling along the Taconic on bald tires, making right turns from the left lane and not knowing what SPEED LIMIT 55 means. Because I use it, too."

Self-interest. It's what Americans respond to.

Senator Clinton was right, for once. It's not up to the governor of New York to sort out the country's immigration problems, even if he had the power to do so. It is up to him to keep New Yorkers as safe as possible from bad drivers. Also from communicable disease, which is why all children should be vaccinated regardless of their parents' immigration status or ability to pay. Or would you rather roll the dice and risk exposing American-born kids --your kids -- to smallpox, polio, diphtheria, et al.? Because viruses don't care about green cards. Hey, a campaign slogan is born! Feel free to use it, avec mes compliments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home