Thursday, September 10, 2020

Losing my mind

It's bad.  But I'm fine.  I think I'm getting used to it.  Is that good?

France may have the most complicated relationship to the female body of any Western country.  It was the birthplace of the bikini, invented by an automotive engineer named Louis Reard back in 1946.  More recently it saw the introduction of the burkini, a swimsuit favored by observant Muslim women and those who fear skin cancer, and banned by various municipalities for being too modest.  Now this woman, known only as Jeanne, was denied entry to the Musee d'Orsay because some minor functionary decided she was displaying too much cleavage.  It hardly needs to be added (although the article does) that the d'Orsay, like every other museum, is full of paintings of naked women; or that Jeanne is more covered than Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People" over at the Louvre.  I will leave the French to sort this out.  They won't.

Bob Woodward is catching a lot of flak along with the invaluable publicity for his book Rage.  (Why Rage?  Apparently because the last one was called Fear.  I would have gone with Loathing myself.)  Charlie Pierce, for one, dumped all over him for having Trump on tape last January admitting that he knew, as much as he "knows" anything, that coronavirus was going to kill a lot of Americans.  Like Trump, Woodward concealed this information until he could finish the book -- Trump continued incriminating himself on the record until July -- as the death toll steadily mounted along with all the other documented disasters.  The strategy seemed to be blaming the states for not doing more and the Chinese for causing the pandemic in the first place, and you can't say it hasn't worked among the Trumpanzees (remember the armed mob in Lansing?).  I wonder if anything would have been accomplished had Woodward shared his recordings eight months ago.  It's hard to imagine Trump's callous indifference to human life causing even one Republican senator to vote for removal, now that they salivate at the possibility of putting one of their own on the Supreme Court.  (Don't look, it will only upset you.)  As for the other bombshell revelations, like Stupid bragging to a reporter with a tape recorder about his swell new nuclear weapons, I'm sure Putin and Kim got the news before Woodward did.  Even Trump is on the Twitter defending Woodward for sitting on his "good and proper answers" until he could profit from them -- pretty smart for an "enemy of the people."  I predict that as the outcry increases he'll claim it's not really his voice.  He did that with the infamous Access Hollywood tape.

The chorus of apologists has already struck up.  As usual Mike Pence is the most servile, citing the First Amendment right to peaceably assemble during a pandemic to listen to a Trump rant without mask or separation, i.e., FREEDOM.  Tin-tray Tucker Carlson blames Lindsey Graham, of all lapdogs, for encouraging Trump to talk to Woodward, while Jim Acosta cites "a source" who says it was political mastermind Jared Kushner who pushed for the interviews.  I may have to read the damn thing just to find out what Kushner said about the Cheshire Cat, because we are through the looking glass and it might help me find my way back. 

Trump doesn't think Barack Obama is smart or a good speaker.  Kim Jong-un, now, he's "far beyond smart," and he thinks Obama is "an asshole," and he smiles only for Trump.  Isn't that special?  Excuse me a minute, I'm tasting vomit.

I know it's hard to act "fair and balanced" when you have to report on a depraved, demented, treasonous fuckbag and then pretend there's something equivalent about the other side.  Trump brags that he shielded Mohammed bin Salman for ordering the Khashoggi murder ("I saved his ass"), slavers at Kim's description of killing his uncle, complains, "My [sic] fucking generals are a bunch of pussies.  They care more about their alliances than they care about trade deals."   Yes, but what about the Democrats?  The salon where Nancy Pelosi had her hair done is going out of business!  Why do they hate America?

I guess I'm unfair, and I know I'm increasingly unbalanced.  How else can I explain the dream where Queequeg harpoons Trump through his neck-lard and hauls him to a septic tank in the Virginia countryside where his spawn and spawn-in-law are already at rest?  Or maybe it's a heavily tattooed Adam Schiff and he grins and disappears, leaving only the grin, and then Babe the blue ox covers them all in ox shit.  I have to get out more.





1 Comments:

Blogger ObxRex said...

I just love your blog, read it every day. Thanks for writing what millions of us are thinking.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home