Monday, March 04, 2019

Language police

I hate to have to do this, because I am really not a humorless prig when it comes to English.  It's pointless to try to impose rules on a huge, pulsating, amorphous entity like our language, scarfing down foreign words and neologisms all day and struggling to process social media scribblings and outright gibberish every night.  I have given up on all kinds of things that offend me.  I accept that "crispy" has replaced "crisp" as an adjective to describe potato chips (I suppose in Britain they're called crispy crisps).  I bade a sorrowful farewell to the subjunctive long ago, when even erudite people began to say "I wish I would have been there."  I barely hear the double verb now -- you know, "The reason is is because...").  I have even stopped wincing at the latest tic where people start sentences with "so."  ("Do you have a plan for addressing climate change?"  "So the Green New Deal...")  Better than "well," I suppose.

But I keep encountering a nasty new acronym, "SNAFUBAR."  Look, I know we live in a time when the old words for disgust are barely adequate, when language can hardly encompass the criminality and stupidity of our minority-elected Executive branch, but that does not mean we have to lose sight of the most eloquent expressions created by some anonymous genius of the Second World War.  I understand the impulse to take "snafu" and add another layer of horrified incredulity, but it already exists.  As explained by the late Paul Fussell, it goes:

SNAFU -- situation normal, all fucked up
FUBAR -- fucked up beyond all recognition
SAPFU -- surpassing all previous fuck-ups

As we endure a time that makes Operation Market Garden look like a triumph, I beg you to remember SAPFU, and to employ it every time another fuck-up surpasses the last one.  And it will.


2 Comments:

Blogger MarkS said...

Is "a fridge too far" going to be the working title of the now-obese creature's biopic?

1:29 PM  
Blogger The New York Crank said...

While we're on the topic of out-of-kilter language, may I share one of my pet hates?

"I thought to myself that...."

"I thought," will do it. Of course you thought to yourself. Who else could you think to?

Yours very crankily,
The New York Crank

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home