Sunday, August 29, 2010

What'd I miss?

Did you know that "Emmy" derives from the term "immy"? I don't know what that means, or why I remember it.

Jimmy Fallon is not talented enough for this to be remade as "The Jimmy Fallon Show," but at least we haven't heard his irritating laugh. Yet. NBC fired the wrong late night guy.

Jim Parsons won Best Actor in a Comedy. That means people finally realized that "Monk" is not a comedy.

Edie Falco: "I'm not funny!" Here we go again.

Where would awards shows be without Ricky Gervais? In the crapper, is where. "Let's face it, we're all Bucky Guntz here." Can I get that on a T-shirt?

George Clooney won the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award for not making Ocean's 14. The caper would have involved stealing Andy Garcia and delivering him to Al Pacino.

Did I just see a "tease" for the In Memoriam segment?

And Hugh Laurie gets skunked again, even though he gives a consistently rich performance in what amounts to a foreign language. Try playing a misanthropic bastard so that people will want to watch you every week. It's harder than it looks.

Next year: No guitars. Also, the word "amazing" will be banned. That should give nominees a full year to think of another way to describe their agents.

Maury Chaykin died? I didn't know. He was a terrific Nero Wolfe.

Applauding yourself when your name is announced irritates me. It suggests you aren't paying attention, but are mindlessly clapping when prompted, like the Letterman audience.

Clearly Temple Grandin is having the time of her life. It would be nice if somebody invited her onstage.

It seems that all the nominated writers are about 24. Be sure to read Ken Levine's blog tomorrow, he's something of an expert in these matters. I'm just somebody who owns a television. I muted the sound when that girl was singing, so I'm not sure why Tom Hanks just led a busload of people onstage.

And finally Ms. Grandin gets her moment. She may be the only woman onstage who isn't in danger of erupting from her dress. Whoops! Tuck them in. Oh, that must be uncomfortable. This is why the Emmys are not shown in Iran, where they would otherwise be a huge draw. Most Iranian men model their look after Tom Selleck.

Now for the evening's big question: Will Google (spits) let me publish this?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home